I feel like I've dropped off the face of the planet earth for the last month...
September 3rd, we got married, then went on our honeymoon.. (Bow-chic-a-wow-wow!)
Then on September 15th through the 30th we went to Europe!
It has always been a dream of mine to go there, and it was everything I had hoped it would be.
And here is a little taste of our trip:
- Flew to Frankfurt. Rented a giant black van/bus that I named, Georg. Drove to Rothenburg, Germany.
- Got to Rothenburg. Wandered around the Disney Fantasyland city. Went into a massive Christmas Store, and looked longingly at Black Forest Coo-Coo Clocks.
- Went to Dinner. We ate Sauerbraten, red cabbage, and bread. Lots, and LOTS of bread.
- Night Watchman's Tour!
- Ate a hardy breakfast with more bread, meats, cheeses, nutella, jams, and hot chocolate.
- walked around the city a bit more
- drove to Neuschwanstein Castle (the Disneyland Castle) (side note--I made sure to make Disney references every day of our trip)
- checked into our hotel
- HIKED up to the castle, and took a tour of said castle. It was sick-nasty!
- spotted a frog on our way down.
can you see the frog??
- drove to Salzburg, Austria.
- left 10 minutes after arriving because of stressful traffic reasons :)
- decided to drive to Halstatt, Austria instead.
- arrived in Halstatt, walked around. This place is soooo pretty! It was probably one of my favorite cities of the whole trip.
- ate dünors.
- drove to Wald Im Pinzgau, Austria
- Woke up in Wald Im Pinzgau
- drove up the mountain to Gretlholf
- took some Sound Of Music pics. see below..
- listened to the moo-cows and their cow bells
- walked to the church, went inside, and drank some trinkwasser from the fountain.
- drove to Venice, Italy
- rode the water taxi into Venice
- Explored Venice in the pouring rain
- ate margarita pizza -- Jared ate a whole fish..
- went to St Mark's Square and put on my glare face to all of the weirdos that hand you flowers, and then want 5 Euro. Stinkers.
- Went on top of our little apartment that we stayed in and watched the eeriness of Venice settle in. It was a pretty cool place to see.
- Went to a Fresh Fish market in Venice--where I saw a massive Sword Fish. So nasty.
- I also saw nasty fish that were staring at me.
- walked to the water bus
- went to Burano, Italy
- Bought Linens :)
- Came home, took a nap
- Then we went out again that night, and wandered around eerie Venice.
- Left Venice back through a water taxi
- found our car at the airport
- Drove to the Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera
- Layed out on the beach, and read/relxed
- Walked along the beach, Jared and I also had a rock skipping contest! (I won)
- Hung out in our little city that we stayed in that night--Moneglia, Italy
- Watched the people from the Catholic Church carry around the lit up altar around the streets.
- played Rook with Jared's parents
- Explored the Cinque Terre
- went on a hike from Monterosso to Vernazza... It was so hot. And there were soooo many stairs. I thought I would die. Good news, I didn't die.
- Walked through Vernazza, and saw the neat shaped noodles.....(side note: it took me about a minute to figure out what the noodles on the right were... Jared was like, "I dunno.." oh, he knew EXACTLY what they were. We all had a good laugh about the male genitalia shaped noodles.)
- had the BEST GELATO EVER!!
- Rode the train to Manarola
- ate pesto lasagna
- took the train back
- got pizza from a local store, took it back to the hotel, and then we played Rook again.
- Left bright and early and drove 7 hours back to Munich. The boys wanted to go to the Soccer game, and so Jared and I delivered a package to Elder Zach Huff, and went to the REAL Oktoberfest.
- Ate the best food ever.
- Went to a mall, but every place closed at 8, so then we rode to the airport thinking that from there we could catch a bus to our hotel. Turns out you couldn't. So we waited at the airport until the game was over for us to get picked up.
- Went and stayed at a Marriott.
- Left Munich, and drove
- Went to Dachau, Germany, and visited a concentration camp. It was really eerie. I walked into a gas chamber, and that is when I told Jared I wanted to leave. It was hard being there, but good at the same time. I am so grateful to all of those people who suffered there.
- drove back to Switzerland
- stopped in Appenzell, Switzerland
- ate crepes
- lost our passports (we didn't know we had left them at the restaurant at this point)
- drove to our hotel
- realized once we got to the hotel that our passports were missing..
- the nice hotel peeps still let us check in and go to sleep.
- called the US Embassy to find our passports
- They told us to call Bürn US Embassy, but they don't open til 2, so we go about our day
- drove this beautiful pass in the Swiss Alps
- saw a Porche gang, as opposed to a motorcycle gang
- 2 o'clock came around, we call Bürn
- The lady says that her co-worker has been working on a case with 6 missing passports
- we talk to that person, they are at the Police Station in Appenzell.
- We drive immediately back to Appenzell
- RETRIEVE OUR PASSPORTS!
- tell the lady in the restaurant thank you.
- drive to Andermatt, Switzerland
- Walk around Andermatt--to the church, and by the river that goes through the city
- drove to Lucerne, Switzerland
- ate more crepes
- drove to Aachen, Germany
- Go to Jared's old apartment building
- eat the ice cream he used to eat
- eat the dünors he used to eat
- went to his old ward's party
- came back to our hotel
- walked around Aachen -- just Jared and I walked to the old grocery store that he used to shop at. We got drinks for everyone, and then came back to the apartment, and played Rook again.
- Went to church in Aachen. The sweet Elders translated for us. It was fun to sing the Hymns in German
- Drove to Heidlburg, Germany
- went to the Bishop's house for a visit
- ate his delicious ice cream -- ROSEMARY flavored. So good. I will probably crave it for the rest of my entire life.
- left the Bishops house
- Drove to the castle at night to see it lit up
- Walked to the Castle--about 3 miles
- climbed 303ish stairs up to the castle
- explored the city
- Went to the Christmas store
- walked back to the hotel--another 3 miles
- took naps
- drove to Jared's favorite Italian restaurant in Manheim -- Vapiano
- walked to the grocery store and bought 12 years worth of chocolate.
- Flew home
These are the highlights of our trip. It was definately a trip that I will never forget. I saw some amazingly beautiful places, and will probably wish to go back for the rest of my life.